Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

It become clear just a few pages into this book what it means to be a classic. The Count of Monte Cristo is the definition of absolutely amazing. It has the perfect combination of adventure, excitement, mystery, humor, love, loss, sorrow, and I can go on and on, but I will spare you. Throughout the book you want Edmond to succeed and to get insight into his mind as his plan unfolds is spectacular. Some of the pieces I could only put together as they were happening, to which I find myself in the "now I see" moment. Such a clever book, and such a great writer. I have already began to use some of the dialogue of this book in my everyday life, which my dog does not appreciate because she claims the term "wretched scoundrel" does not truly capture her essence. All in all, if I were someone who liked reading, then you would enjoy this book.

Also, just a little disclaimer: regardless of whether you saw the movie adaptation of the book (which was a great movie), or whether or not you enjoyed the movie, the book is far better and much much different.

No comments:

Post a Comment